site-verification'/> Bob Curran Consultant: Ships of Fools

Friday, October 25, 2013

Ships of Fools

Well, I've had quite a few experiences since my last blog in the radio business.  A 62 year-old man leaped from his chair in Dallas, and fell to the floor on his knees, pounding his fists on the floor.  He admired to be diagnosed with ADHD, as did his sub-manager, and the both managed accordingly.

Most recently I worked for a psychotic bald gentleman with an ego the size of Chicago, who first praised me lavishly and said, along with other management members that I was doing a GREAT job.

"Thanks for that great hit you had in opening that supermarket chain, bob.  Thank you!  Thank you!  A day later at a "boss's day luncheon he sat right next to me and said:
"I saw several great hits from y in the system!!"
And indeed there is literally nobody in the radio business who can go out and "close" medical clients like I can.

I "closed" a huge Neurologist/Chiropractor only to have our "traffic" system not run their commercials for a whole week. Bad first impression and they didn;t hear their spots, they didn't receive any calls and so they cancelled'  A Neurologist/Chiropractic team.  GONE along with $20,000 worth of new business!

Then I "closed" a high end Orthodontist by creating a "theme' series called 'ORTHODONTIC INSIGHTS" in which even the doctor himself visited out studios and recorded a half-hour of raw footage in an interview and we were to edit portions into segments of 'ORTHODONTIC INSIGHTS."  $$30,000 in business and the same gal that blew off the Neurologist/Chiropractor's commercials began to do the same act with the Orthodontist.  It was only an on air personality who saw that something wasn't right and fixed it---not even his job---that rescued the second "Mistake."
When I justifiably complained to one select person in our business department, on behalf of my paying customers, where you don't get a second chance to make a good first impression, she elected to share my valid complaints with the bald bastard who was lavishing praise on me all week, and my female sales manager who had ended our last four one-one-one Friday sessions over the previous 4 weeks with:  "Bob, you're doing a great job!" and even exclaimed in front of the whole sales staff:  "Bob is DA man!" I was called into a meeting room with the head man and the business manager.  The psycho bald bastard waved my valid complaint to just one person-no names mentioned, and in private e-mail correspondence---i the air and said:
"Bob, we've decided to let you go."

The Neurologist
The Chiropractor
The supermarket chain
A Mattress Outlet Chain
and a High end Orthodontist--all with about 8 days and lavish praise and thanks and then....
let go...
It was the absolute best thing that even happened to me under the circumstances.  And the bald psycho?
He sent the whole sales force home immediately and most likely sat down in his office and put his head in his hands, knowing full well that he had just chopped of his arm to get rid of a hangnail.

There most certainly IS a thing called "KARMA' at work in this world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment